Medical visas (M-visa) are generally issued by the Indian government to every medical tourist, for a period of one year. The one year validity of an Medical visa (M-visa) can be extended by an additional 12 months in some special cases. Medical cases with heart problems, organ transplants, ophthalmic disorders, and neuro-surgery are given priority. The centre has also allowed granting free medical visas for Maldivian nationals for a period of 90 days.
Industry experts point out that the visa application process is highly cumbersome as the patients are asked to report to the Indian embassy personally and furnish bank statements/medical reports, and are even referred to the embassy doctor for a second opinion. There is no special provision given to tourists who come to India to avail wellness facilities.
Attendant/family members of the patient coming to India for medical treatment shall be granted miscellaneous visa co-terminus with the ‘M Visa’ of the patient. Such visa may be granted to spouse/ children or those who have blood relations with the patient. Such visa will be called ‘MX visa’.
Applicant must possess the recommendations or reference to go for specialized treatment on the basis of Preliminary medical checkup and treatment from the Medical experts of origin/residence country.
The treatment should be significant in nature, such as neurosurgery, heart surgery, organ transplant, joint replacement, gene therapy, and plastic surgery.
Up to two Medical Attendant visas will be issued for people to accompany the patient Attendants/family members of patient, who are coming to India for Medical treatment, shall be granted Medical Attendant visa (MED X) co-terminus with medical Visa of the patient.
Attendants should be spouse/ children or those having blood relations with the patient. Not more than two attendants may be allowed.
A medical category visa may be issued with the following conditions:
- The Indian Missions/Posts abroad may scrutinize the medical documents very carefully and satisfy themselves about the bonafide purpose for which medical treatment visa is being requested.
- Mission may satisfy that the applicant has sought preliminary medical advice from his country of origin/country of residence and he has been advised to go for specialized medical treatment.In case the foreign national desires to go for treatment under the Indian system of Medicines, his case may also be considered.
- This type of visa should be granted for seeking medical attendance only in reputed / recognized specialized hospitals/ treatment centers in the country. Although non exhaustive, following illustrative list of ailments would be of primary consideration; serious ailments like neurosurgery; ophthalmic disorders; heart related problems; renal disorders; organ transplantations; plastic surgery; joint replacement etc.. The basic idea would be that the mission may satisfy about the need of the foreign national to come to India for medical treatment/ health enhancements.
Initial duration of the visa is one year or the period of treatment, whichever is less.Visa will be valid for maximum three entries in a year.
Passengers having valid medical visa can enter India from any desired port of immigration check post (Airport, Seaport).
Foreigners coming on ‘M visa’ will be required to get themselves registered mandatorily well within the period of 14 days of arrival with the concerned FRROs/ FROs.
Visa to attendant/ family members
Attendant/family members of the patient coming to India for medical treatment shall be granted miscellaneous visa co-terminus with the ‘M Visa’ of the patient. Such visa may be granted the spouse/ children or those who have blood relations with the patient. However, not more than two attendants may be allowed at a time for grant of miscellaneous visa. Such visa will be called ‘MX visa’. Such foreigners are also required to get themselves registered with the local FRROs/ FROs well within 14 days from the date of arrival.
Fee for Medical Visa
A visa fee for Medical visa is different for all the Missions. It ranges from $13 to $153.
The visitors are required to fill online visa Application by visiting website http://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/ and visit their nearest embassy with printout of the online filled application and required travel documents.
Maximum three entries are allowed in one year.
Registration for Pak and Bangladeshi National
It may be clarified that ‘ Medical Visa’ will be available to all the foreign nationals including China, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka. However Registration formalities for Pakistani and Bangladeshi nationals will be as per the provisions contained in para 106 in respect of Bangladeshi national and para 118 of the visa manual in respect of Pakistani nationals. Similarly entry and departure of these foreign nationals will also be governed as per the existing policy in respect to these nationals.
- Passport with 6 month validity
- Passport size photographs
- Photocopy of passport
- Copy of online Filled form
- Proof of Residential Address
- Recommendation from home country doctor to visit particular specialized medical center for treatment
- Passport copy of attendant
- Proof of relationship with attendant
- Medical reports